Hello Dear Reader.
Writing after a hiatus of a month and I missed you all. The last month had been all about adapting to changes and I was too caught up in my scheme of things. A change of job taught me a few things for sure but it did land me in New York City for a 15 day work trip. Changes are challenging times and I will tell you all the fun and funny things that contributed to the roller coaster in a separate letter. But this letter is all about the experiences from the Big Apple.
Those who had read my letter from Singapore earlier this year, I can assure you my suitcase is getting lighter. I had lesser weight for 15 day packing than I had for a 7 day work trip. I’m quite proud of the feat, but realised I could actually pack at least another 6 pieces less. We learn and hopefully my work trip will be lighter in weight the coming months. After almost a year and some, I did enjoy a work trip & my stay in New York.
A new job ensures that you are not carrying any baggage of expectations or weight of performance. You are only absorbing and making connections. My previous job taught me well the value of networking and building connections. I hope I did start the journey in the new place on a good note. My colleagues were extremely gracious and I got pulled into Happy Hours held by different teams, Women Business Network Summer Soirée, Coffee catch up and Lunch meetings. All these helped me to get to know the people, my work and team. Along with it I also could enjoy the summer which is quite cherished in that part of the world.
But this trip was not only about work. Courtesy my ex-colleagues turned friends (over time) I enjoyed a wonderful afternoon strolling through the beautiful Central Park, enjoying the Times Square and was pampered thoroughly with gifts and delicious lunch at a swanky rooftop bar right across Empire State Building. I spent quality time over great Chinese food with my girlfriend reminiscing the days we spent at work in Hong Kong and all the fun we had together. Honestly Hong Kong evokes emotions which eludes words. But I was so glad that both of us have found happy spaces in our lives.
New York also caters to the soft spot I have for family. My elder cousin who’s one rocking woman, glamorous, super achiever and an awesome mom stays there with my niece. She mothered me and I so unabashedly soaked in all the love. A Porsche ride to Spring Valley in New Jersey to meet my uncle (who’s more a dad to me) was unforgettable. The incessant chatter, the beautiful ride and an afternoon of great food with those I love filled my heart.
New York also gave me time with myself. I could stroll the streets aimlessly after work. I chatted with people who holds special place in my heart for hours. And I spent the nights alone with my thoughts where no one claimed my attention. No one reminded me of the next chore. No one triggered the auto responses to asks, which we are prone to give, depending on the role we play day in and day out. I could long for gossamer illusions. I could weep for the grief which was suppressed in the noises of routine. I drowned myself in the coveted loneliness. I whispered to the lost hopes and wrapped despair around me in delicious warmth.I allowed myself to suffer and embrace it, with all the love I had in my heart.
You see in our busy schedule where we wear multiple hats and play a zillion roles swapping them almost hour to hour, we barely get time to spend with ourselves. The truest version. We don’t give time to our happiness, (those that are only ours and not shared) and we don’t grieve enough for our sorrows. I recollect the day my Dida passed away ( maternal grand mom), I was on my way to work while she was dying. My mom held the phone to her dying ears in Kolkata and I was in my car going to Malad to tackle a very busy year end in Financial Reporting team. I sobbed on the way. Wiped my tears, got down and worked till late in the night . I reached back home wee hours of the night. Calmly told my husband and my 6 year old son of the news ( both unaware till then) and entered kitchen to rustle up tiffin for my son the next day. I didn’t grieve her death and I still regret the lost opportunity. Since then I give myself some time in the year to unwrap myself layer by layer and be. Simply be.
These work trips allow me my luxury. You can love and live with an abandon of a free spirit. You can take out your battered, bruised heart and heal. You can long with your body, mind and soul and then be absolutely fine with the longing to rest as it is. You can weep your pillows wet and ache in unfulfilled desires. You can dream and hope and be free of all contraptions that is your life. But most of all you can be YOU.
So my dearest reader, if you get a chance to be with yourself, grab that opportunity with both hands. Spend quality time with the only one you came with and the only one who’ll be with you when you leave this plane. I did have a wonderful time with myself and I’m quite stoked by it.
My part of the world is gearing up for all the festivities. Starting from Janmashtami, rolling into Ganpati then dancing through Navaratri/Durga Puja and ending with Diwali. So we are a happy bunch here. See you soon with more stories. Till then enjoy the moving of the Sun from this side to that side of the earth.
Always yours,
Pocket full of life

No comments:
Post a Comment