Saturday, July 22, 2023

Letters to the Unknown Reader Series 1 - Catching up with time


 Hello Dear Reader,

Hope last week treated you well. I had a breathless one, which I skied through, in wreck less speed, avoiding catastrophic consequences by the nick.

You might think what kind of earth shattering phenomena had touched my life. But to understand my previous statement you need to know me a bit. So taking the opportunity of introducing my persona through this letter. I’m a loner who’ve adapted a gregarious, exuberant layer of extroverted personality to navigate life. My cautious, socially nervous, people pleaser heart, wears a lion’s attire and roars away in glory. My fear of failure and anxiety of abandonment pushes me to over work, over compensate and do every other thing, which is way over the line of my physical and emotional capacity. You might now get a glimpse of how overwhelming for me is the life I lead. It’s a complete contradiction to my own natural rhythm.

Last week my work pushed me to spend long hours in office, which was followed by even longer hours spent on my social commitments. The hours included multi tasking and wearing different hats of being a professional, a social contributor, a wife, a mother, a financial planner, a tax advisor, a chef, a career and education Counselor and God knows what else. I just felt like a candle which is burning out too fast, too soon. So I decided to pause and remember things which calms me, makes me look inward, and soothes my soul.

I love cooking, especially for the people who are special to me. For me that’s the easiest way of expressing love, respect and care. If I have cooked you a meal, be rest assured you’re in my book of priorities. You’ll always have me covering your back.

 I also enjoy flowers, they make me happy. Just looking at them brings a smile. I’ve rarely been given flowers, but I do indulge in them often. Softest of petals with loveliest of fragrances.

Nothing calms me more than art. I admire them, specially water colours of places of beauty. They invite you to the world they create. I wish I could paint, but thankfully I am surrounded by talented folks, who allows me to peek into their creative world.

My affinity to nature goes back a long way. I was born and brought up in the small towns smattered across Bengal. Without the plants, the greens, the birds and open sky, I feel like a fish out of a pond, claustrophobic and dead. I spend hours looking at my green nook tucked in corner of my balcony hanging over the busiest and most crowded city of India. 

And of them all I love books, of  all kinds, shapes and sizes. I go berserk inside book a shop. My favourite dream has a shady tree, under the open sky, a book and me lying underneath, engrossed in each other. 

To end my list, I align with my rhythm, when I walk the path of a seeker. A seeker who searches for the meaning of existence and purpose of life. And what a beautiful journey it is, when you walk alone but complete unto your own self.

I hope all of you have your pockets full of wonderful magic, which calms you down and aligns you to your own beautiful rhythm. I wish you courage and faith to wear whatever personality life commands you to adorn with grace and dignity. I will pray that you always have the power to recognise the difference between your truest self and the myriad personas you play as you navigate life.

Always yours,

Pocket full of life

No comments:

Post a Comment