It's strange what 72 hours can do to ones's life. When you are living the daily rigour, you barely differentiate between two days of your crazy schedule. The mundane monotony robs you off the emotional and intelligence grid. Your day entails going through the motions.
Once upon a not so long time ago, a normal routine day for me, turned into a life changing trigger. On a flaky, sanitised morning, I went to work like any other day. I was not keeping well and thought that the long overdue doc's appointment should take pride place at the top of my 'To do' list. I took off during lunch hour and went to see my family physician. He was a beningn man, with a comforting smile; typical of a doctor. Post my check up his affable smile froze. And 'Wham'! I got my health bulletin. The doc thought best that I be admitted immediately in 'Intensive care unit' of a hospital.
There seemed to be a lot of complications in my 5ft 7 inches frame. Most of the explanations, went way over my head. I was cocooned into believing, it was a minor blip in my well crafted life. Denial at its best form! I for sure thought that I was going to resume my frenetic life at the earliest. Sooner than a blink of course! Like an obedient girl, I went back to my office and took leave for a few days.
Who knew that I stood at the brink of a cliff? And that my list of surprises had just begun. I went through the grind of getting hospitalised. Specialist doctors visited me like cherished friends. Some were good looking enough to give our movie stars a run for money. Their presence for obvious reasons elevated my otherwise dull mood. When I look back, that stint did give me a required break....albeit forcibly and I was secretly pleased about it, initially though. And it lasted a short time. Amidst a slew of tests and an elaborate spread of medicines, came the second 'Whammy'! I was told my hours are numbered. No one, kind of tried putting a finger on the exact details (very unlike our financial world). But it ranged from 2 days to 20 years depending on the benevolence of a clutch of medicines.
And in one 'Big Bang' my life changed. Everything which was kotty in the labyrinth of life fell into one simple wavy line. It resembled the gentle waves of the ocean, the smooth fold of the mountains and the roll of the green meadows. From trying to analyse balance sheets, maneuvering deals and tip toeing around minefield of emotions I started to enjoy 'Being'. I guess one is happier when ticking of clock doesn't signify your running - instead tells you that time is running out.
Suddenly the dappled sunlight mattered more, the innocent giggle mattered more, the first rains, the hot cuppa in a foggy winter morning mattered way more than never ending rush. The lost love, the last kiss, the falling in love, the giving into joy, all held the miracle of the universe in its baby fist.
I realised what matters to us is not worth a penny but a basketful of time (very precious these days) and a heart set (mind being rational doesn't always make the cut) to enjoy life. I more often than not gave in to the urge of jumping into that dreaded, joy chasing cycle. It's addictive. Funny..... how the cycle never seems to move forward! You keep pedalling till you burn out of exhaustion. My life taught me to take that one small step to get down the cycle. I can now have a good laugh about life and fill my heart with memories worth a telling.
My life skips, hops, jumps and picks peonies along the road.
Once upon a not so long time ago, a normal routine day for me, turned into a life changing trigger. On a flaky, sanitised morning, I went to work like any other day. I was not keeping well and thought that the long overdue doc's appointment should take pride place at the top of my 'To do' list. I took off during lunch hour and went to see my family physician. He was a beningn man, with a comforting smile; typical of a doctor. Post my check up his affable smile froze. And 'Wham'! I got my health bulletin. The doc thought best that I be admitted immediately in 'Intensive care unit' of a hospital.
There seemed to be a lot of complications in my 5ft 7 inches frame. Most of the explanations, went way over my head. I was cocooned into believing, it was a minor blip in my well crafted life. Denial at its best form! I for sure thought that I was going to resume my frenetic life at the earliest. Sooner than a blink of course! Like an obedient girl, I went back to my office and took leave for a few days.
Who knew that I stood at the brink of a cliff? And that my list of surprises had just begun. I went through the grind of getting hospitalised. Specialist doctors visited me like cherished friends. Some were good looking enough to give our movie stars a run for money. Their presence for obvious reasons elevated my otherwise dull mood. When I look back, that stint did give me a required break....albeit forcibly and I was secretly pleased about it, initially though. And it lasted a short time. Amidst a slew of tests and an elaborate spread of medicines, came the second 'Whammy'! I was told my hours are numbered. No one, kind of tried putting a finger on the exact details (very unlike our financial world). But it ranged from 2 days to 20 years depending on the benevolence of a clutch of medicines.
And in one 'Big Bang' my life changed. Everything which was kotty in the labyrinth of life fell into one simple wavy line. It resembled the gentle waves of the ocean, the smooth fold of the mountains and the roll of the green meadows. From trying to analyse balance sheets, maneuvering deals and tip toeing around minefield of emotions I started to enjoy 'Being'. I guess one is happier when ticking of clock doesn't signify your running - instead tells you that time is running out.
Suddenly the dappled sunlight mattered more, the innocent giggle mattered more, the first rains, the hot cuppa in a foggy winter morning mattered way more than never ending rush. The lost love, the last kiss, the falling in love, the giving into joy, all held the miracle of the universe in its baby fist.
I realised what matters to us is not worth a penny but a basketful of time (very precious these days) and a heart set (mind being rational doesn't always make the cut) to enjoy life. I more often than not gave in to the urge of jumping into that dreaded, joy chasing cycle. It's addictive. Funny..... how the cycle never seems to move forward! You keep pedalling till you burn out of exhaustion. My life taught me to take that one small step to get down the cycle. I can now have a good laugh about life and fill my heart with memories worth a telling.
My life skips, hops, jumps and picks peonies along the road.
Very touching!!
ReplyDelete